Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Elizabeth Marriott Murder Investigation

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been vigorously keeping up with news on the murder of Elizabeth Marriott.  The case fascinated me partly because I am very interested in crime stories, and partly because it seems so out of the ordinary for this part of New Hampshire.  In addition, there are so many aspects of the case that don't seem to add up, and I am eager to find out more.
When writing my news story on this event, I had so much trouble seeking out the information I needed, simply because 9 out of 10 people refused to even comment on any aspect of the case.  While I do understand that many of these people are not at liberty to release information, it was frustrating to not be able to get the answers I so desperately want.  I was hoping that if I kept digging, I would be able to uncover at least something that would put some of my many questions to rest.  However most of my potential leads turned out to be dead ends.
I decided to blog about this this week because writing on this event really gave me a glimpse into the world of journalism that I had never seen before.  I realized just how difficult it can be to obtain the answers you need for a hard-hitting story, when almost no one will agree to talk to you.
While it was quite a frustrating experience, it's one that I'm glad I was exposed to early on.  I still hope to be a journalist some day, and I'm glad I've seen the difficulties of the job as well as the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment