Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Small Towns and Big Cities

I realized that although I have been pretty good about keeping up with national and world news, I have neglected to keep myself informed of things happening right here in Durham.  I vowed to visit the website of the town of Durham at least 3 times a week.  Today, while browsing through the town news, I came across something very interesting. 
The "featured article" was simply a two line announcement that Trick-Or-Treating in Durham will be held on Tuesday, Oct 30, from 5:00-7:30 PM.  The announcement didn't mention anything about why it would take place then instead of on the actual holiday of Halloween, but that wasn't what struck me about it.  I grew up in a big city, and am still adjusting to living in a small town and learning to take in all the many differences.  I find it quite amazing that it is possible to not only set a specific time for trick-or-treating, but to make it on a day other than Halloween.  Something like this would be impossible to do in a big city because of the large amount of people and the lack of communication between them.  My family has always been close with our neighbors, but I doubt we would even have the manpower to set up a specific time for trick-or treating within our neighborhood; there are simply too many people.  
I have noticed that people who live in small towns tend to be much closer to one another than people who live in big cities.  I am curious as to whether this is simply because of the difference in amount of people, or if it is something deeper than that.  The thought crossed my mind that perhaps people who enjoy interaction and connection with others migrate towards small towns, while people who prefer to keep to themselves migrate towards bigger cities.  It is simply a hypothesis, but it is one I am interested in looking into further.

No comments:

Post a Comment