I read a story in the New York times today, that definitely came as a bit of a shock to me. I know that the controversy against gay marriage has been in full swing for some time now, but I was surprised to discover that there are people going to such extremes to keep it from being legalized. Frank Schubert believes that gay marriage is wrong for many reasons, and in 2008, he ran a 40 million dollar campaign in California, in support of Proposition 8. After the election, he continued to head million dollar campaigns in many other states including, Maryland, Minnesota, and Maine.
Personally, I believe that marriage is a right that should be granted to any two people who love each other, regardless of their sex. Although I do respect that there are many people, such as Schubert, who do not agree with me, I am surprised that people have such a problem with it that they are willing to devote part of their lives to keep it from being legalized.
In addition, this story made me grateful once again to live in a country where we are each entitled to our own opinion, and given the right to express it freely.
No comments:
Post a Comment