Monday, October 1, 2012

California bans "Gay Cure Therapy"

I read a recent story regarding Governor of California, Jerry Brown banning therapy that is geared towards changing a child's sexual orientation.  Brown told the San Francisco Chronicle that the therapy has been statistically proven to lead to depression and suicide.  California has become the first state to ban this type of therapy. 

This story first caught my eye because it mentioned California, and being from there, I like to keep up with what's going on.  Once I started reading it however, I became incredibly interested in the topic.  I had no idea that these types of therapies even existed, much less that they were previously legal in all 50 states.  Although I find it incredibly wrong and dehumanizing to attempt to change someone's sexual orientation, I am quite interested in finding out more about what goes on in these so-called "therapy" sessions.  This article really peaked my curiosity and I hope to find out much more about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment