Sunday, October 28, 2012

"Facts"

I know in the past I have run into trouble with my stories because I've gotten some of my information from other news sources.  I know this is dangerous considering that there is no way to verify that this information is true, however it hadn't fully hit me until now.
I am still very interested in the Lizzi Marriott case, and I have been searching every online news database I can find in search of new information.  While I haven't had much luck in coming across anything I didn't already know, I did notice something else.  The so called "facts" regarding the case vary slightly from story to story.  For example, while some sources say that Lizzi has been pronounced dead, others say that it is simply an assumption.  In addition, some sources refer to the suspect, Seth Mazzaglia, as a friend of Marriott's, while others say that the two did not know each other.
I know that there is usually some inaccuracy, especially surrounding murder cases, but some of these things seem pretty important.  Noticing this really made me realize just how risky it is to depend on other news sources to provide you with accurate information.  Even well-known news sources such as CNN don't always have their facts straight, and I don't want to end up paying the price for someone else's sloppy reporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment