Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Shield Laws

Shortly after beginning Chapter 7, I came across something that really interested me.  Shield Laws.  I didn't have much prior knowledge about these, and to some degree I always assumed that federal courts had more power than the media.  I think it is a great thing that we live in a country where laws like this can exist, even if they are not in affect in all 50 states.  I think there is danger in giving too much power to any one group, and laws like this help to balance things out.
I did a little research and discovered that New Hampshire is not one of the 39 states with Shield laws.  This got me thinking about how nerve-racking it must be to be a journalist or reporter in a state where you are not protected under these laws.  Although it is probably very rare for a journalist to find himself or herself in the position where they would need this type of protection, it is somewhat frightening to think of.  As a potential future journalist, I am not sure what I would do if I found myself in such a position.  Obviously I would not want to go to jail, but revealing confidential information and sources could very likely ruin one's career in the media.  I've often heard that your reputation is the most important thing you have as a journalist, and I can't imagine watching it shatter right before my eyes.  Definitely something to think about when deciding what state to apply for jobs in.

No comments:

Post a Comment