Friday, September 28, 2012

"Are You Better Off?"

Apparently this question has become a central them of the upcoming presidential elections; however the way it is interpreted varies greatly depending on who you are.  Presidential candidate Mitt Romney has stated that “this president cannot tell us that you are better off today than when he took office,” referring, of course, to President Obama.  This statement made me think quite a bit about both candidates and whether or not I feel "better off" now then I did four years ago when President Obama took office.  I also found it interesting that this simple statement can be taken in so many different ways.  Although many commentators have applied it to the financial aspect and unemployment rate, I thought about it in a different way.  Obviously the economic situation of our country is incredibly important, but I feel that as Americans, our emotional feelings towards our president are equally as important.  As a citizen, I want to feel as if I can trust my president to do more than just financially stabilize our country. I want to know that I can trust whoever is in office to make ethically good decisions that benefit more than just one group of people.  I think that this is an important thing to consider when deciding who to vote for and I hope that when it comes time to vote, Americans will be able to look at more than just the financial situation in our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment