Thursday, September 27, 2012

Interrogation Techniques Taking a Turn for the Worst?

Recently, I read an article in the New York Times regarding the current and future interrogation techniques permitted in the United States.  The article discussed the idea that the upcoming elections will likely determine whether or not torture, or "enhanced interrogation techniques" will eventually be legalized.  As of now, President Obama has issued an executive order banning any form of physically abusive interrogation techniques, which he plans to uphold should he be re-elected.  On the contrary, however, presidential candidate, Mitt Romney has been urged by his advisors to "rescind and replace President Obama's executive order".  Although Romney has said that if he were to do this, all interrogation techniques will remain safe, legal and effective in generating intelligence to save American lives,” I can't help but question Romney's true intentions, as well as his character.

As someone who is already quite skeptical of Romney, this story definitely did not help him out a lot in my book.  I firmly believe that any form of physically abusive interrogation is barbaric and wrong, and should definitely not be legal in our 21st century American society.  In addition, the fact that Romney is being so vague about what these "enhanced interrogation techniques" would involve, makes me very nervous.  All I can hope is that enough Romney supporters read this story and hopefully question the character of the man they want to run our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment