While exploring downtown Durham for story ideas, I came across a number of very interesting things. My team and I begun our search by focusing on the new businesses that have opened up in the area. We spoke to employees at Aroma Joe's Coffee, and discovered that they don't seem to be very concerned with other competitors in the area, and are very confident in their ability to satisfy customer needs in a way that other coffee shops don't. We also spoke to an employee at the Candy Bar, and learned that one of the ways they are increasing business is by partnering with Hayden Sports. Customers who spend over $25 at Hayden Sports receive a $5 gift certificate to the Candy Bar. After gathering information about new businesses, we had some time left over and decided we would visit a local liquor store to inquire about the fake ID problem on campus. We spoke to an employee who told us that there has been an influx of fake IDs since the beginning of the school year, and even had a couple that had been confiscated. I realized that the problem is much larger than I knew, and that the consequences are becoming quite extreme.
I discovered just how important it is to go into a search with questions already in your head, and to ask as many as you can to as many people as you can get in contact with. Sometimes you uncover things that you never expected and meet people you didn't think you would.
So far, I think that the following story is the most interesting one I have come across.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/health/research/using-the-body-to-incubate-replacement-organs.html?_r=1&hp
No comments:
Post a Comment