Recently, I have been following the news on the Steven Spader trial and thinking a lot about whether or not I believe that juveniles should ever be given life sentences. Although in most cases, I think life sentences are a bit harsh and unfair for juvenile offenders, there are certain cases in which I see no other options. Some crimes are so mind-blowingly horrible that it seems almost unconstitutional to ever consider letting the offender walk the streets again.
There are cases in which I believe juvenile offenders are troubled and can be helped. In situations like these, I think all possible efforts should be made to help the young offenders turn their lives around and give them another shot at adulthood.
In the case of Steven Spader, I don't believe his life sentence should be revoked simply because of his age at the time. The crime he committed at 17 years old, was incredibly sadistic and clearly shows his need for either intense psychological help, or a lifetime behind bars. Either way, he should never be allowed to roam the streets as a free man.
No comments:
Post a Comment