This morning I read a story in the New York Times about the attack that occurred in Benghazi, Libya early yesterday morning. The American Ambassador, as well as three other diplomats were killed in this vicious attack, and officials are now beginning to suspect that the attack, once believed to be an unfortunate accident, may have actually been strategically planned.
While reading this story, I was very impressed with the level of detail and care that seems to have gone into the reporting. Not only was the piece incredibly descriptive and informative, it also incorporated direct quotes from President Obama, Mohammed Magarief (the president of Libya's national assembly) , and other Libyan officials who were present during the attack. In addition, the story was covered from not only Washington D.C, but also Cairo and London.
Although I do know that much effort and careful detail usually goes into reporting, this story seemed particularly well covered and I was very impressed with it.
I was wondering however, how would a reporter for a newspaper like the New York Times go about getting direct quotes from President Obama? And making sure that they are completely accurate?
No comments:
Post a Comment