Monday, September 17, 2012

To Lead or to Be Led: Different Types of Leads

"President Obama, under renewed fire from Mitt Romney for not standing up to China on behalf of American workers, used a rally in this battleground state on Monday to announce a new trade case against Beijing. " 

I found this lead to be very interesting as well as effective, because it managed to incorporate the who, the what, and the when.  Although it technically begins with "the who", it gives readers a small preview of the main point of the story, without being too wordy or confusing.  I think that a lead like this would be most effective when writing longer, more detailed pieces.  This way readers have a good idea of what they will be reading about, and might be more likely to commit to a longer piece.  


"Despite a well-documented increase in the abuse of alcohol and prescription medications among military personnel over the past decade, the Defense Department’s strategies for screening, treating and preventing those problems remains behind the times, a major new report finds." 
I thought that this lead was also quite effective.  By starting with "the what", it cuts right to the chase and leaves little room for confusion or questions.  I think that a lead like this would be most effective when used with a shorter, informative, and less creative piece.  It gives readers the information they want very quickly and without any extra detail. 

 "Justice Clarence Thomas has not asked a question from the bench in more than six years, and he seldom appears in public in Washington, a city he says is full of cynics, smart alecks and people who have agendas rather than convictions." 

Personally, I did not find this lead to be as effective as many of the others I came across.  After reading the lead in this story, I found myself already losing interest in the piece.  I think that leading with "the who" is a bit risky and should be saved for stories revolving around more well-known names, and much larger events.  

No comments:

Post a Comment